12 December 2008

The Vine, in Coralville

For lunch we headed over to The Vine in Coralville.



It's been a long time, so long that I can't even remember the last time, since either of us have eaten at the Vine in Coralville. I happened to eat at the one in Iowa City earlier this summer and was less than impressed. Thus I was entering the venue with less than hopeful expectations.



The Vine is a sports bar first and foremost. With its location so close to both the basketball arena and the football stadium, it's a favorite for many sports fans. Plenty of Hawkeye garb hangs from the ceiling and from the seat I was sitting at I had a view of nine different flat screen tv's....and there were more on the other side of the restaurant. For your real sports fanatics I guess.







I was surprised to realize that as our waitress took our order, this was the first time we'd been asked on the Tour of Burgers how we'd like our burgers cooked! We both went for the medium rare not actually expecting there to be any pink in the burgers at all (as a general rule I've found that most places will cook your meat one step up from what you actually order). I went with the Sourdough Jo - beef patty served on sourdough bread with asiago, swiss and mozzarella cheese, and caramelized onions and mushrooms. Bryan went with the California Jo - beef patty served up with swiss, bacon and guacamole.


We were happily surprised when our burgers arrived. Not only was the service quick for how full the place seemed to be...but there was pink in our burgers! What small things can make one so happy.







We spoke very little as we devoured these tasty, tasty burgers, both of us shaking our heads in disbelief at how damn good they were. We both give The Vine in Coralville a big two thumbs up. And they get bonus points for recovering so quickly and so well from this summer's flood. If you've not been to the Vine in awhile, it's time to head back!


As a side note, for any of you Boulevard Brewing Company fans, there's a seasonal beer on tap at The Vine right now, the Nutcracker Ale... I also highly recommend giving this a taste test, I was again pleasantly surprised.


Stay tuned for more burger adventures as the Tour of Burgers continues!

No comments: